Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Serendipity

...is both the title of the new magazine for which I am now the Copy Editor and also the means by which I got the gig. I had a sit-down with the Powers that Be, however you want to define them -- God, Higher Power, the Universe, Power of Attraction, Dumb Luck, Angels, Anyone Who Might Be Listening -- and ordered up a new, ongoing freelance writing or editing position. The requirements: flexible hours at my going rate, often from home, within CT, preferably for a magazine. At this point in publishing, that seemed as unlikely a scenario as a part-time editing job where I could bring my baby when she was 6 months old and I was in need of work...which I was able to do at E Magazine for months, private office included. So never hesitate to ask for exactly what you need! My hours at E were decreased so I asked again for the impossible. Two days later I received an e-mail from my lovely editor at E, Brita Belli, pointing me toward a new publication in Greenwich, CT, in search of a part-time copy editor. Soon after, I met with the founder and executive editor of Serendipity magazine, and began reading copy for them a couple days after that. And it couldn't be a better fit. It is a regional magazine about a region with which I'm quite familiar; the office environment, when I need be in the office, is dynamic and friendly and chock full o' smart people. The content is interesting and the standards are high. Serendipitous, indeed.

0 comments: